About Me

My photo
Blue Ridge Area of Virginia
Alicha McHugh is author of "Daughter of the Promise" first in her: Numbered Among the Stars series (available on Amazon.com). She is a homemaker to her husband of 15 years, homeschooler to their children. Writing, enjoying tea and creaming Raw Honey are three of her current pursuits. Grabbing time to read is always high on her list of priorities! If you'd like to contact her, she'd love to hear from you! Just email: alichamchugh@gmail.com

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Good/Bad ~ I finally GET IT!

You know that expression, "Take the good with the bad."

I finally understand what that means.

What I THOUGHT it meant was more of a compartmentalized version of the saying. Like, when bad comes your way, take it...because eventually good will come your way and then you take that too.

In a husband and wife relationship, likely any relationship, there is good and bad. What is my norm is to take the good when it comes and ride it high. Unfortunately for my husband, children and myself, when the bad comes, I'd take it and ride it low for all it's worth.

What I've recently discovered this expression actually means and a better phrase I believe: Allow the good to balance the bad.

You see, it is easy (for me) to think my husband is the most horrible person on the planet. I mean HITLER"S got nothin' on a guy that just ticked me off, pushed the wrong buttons, or turned the "blinding light" on for the 5th time that morning, all because he's been up for a while and thinks you've had enough "Zen" time.

How unbalanced!

What a misrepresentation of truth! My husband is a great guy, a fantastic salesman, someone who I believe literally can do ANYTHING he sets his mind to, a wonderful father a caring son and man in pursuit of the "how to's" of loving his wife!

It bothered me, the ferociousness with which I perceived and addressed every wrong! Like I'm going to stomp on it and squash it out. I'm not. I know I'm not and yet that's where I've let my emotions take me...into lies and deceit about a man I've melded my life to.

What has happened...this imbalance has pushed all truth from my mind when a difficulty arises and instead of dealing with the problem, issue at hand, I've perceived my husband as the problem and issue at hand and I do what I do with all problems...go into attack mode to fix it.

And we all know that's working well....NOT!

So it has been with a grateful heart, a heart needing to understand this for a great while, that I realized I need to remember the LOVING KINDNESS of my GREAT GOD, who gave me a husband with such amazing qualities that balance and even tip the scales back when things sometimes go south, as they most certainly do and will.

To keep my focus big and inclusive when dealing with relational hurts.

And didn't I vow to do just that, in sickness and health (the good and bad) til death do us part? How much easier it is when your husband is also seeking after the Lord! I'm blessed!

So what have YOU been learning about relationships??? Share below as you're led!

No comments: