About Me

My photo
Blue Ridge Area of Virginia
Alicha McHugh is author of "Daughter of the Promise" first in her: Numbered Among the Stars series (available on Amazon.com). She is a homemaker to her husband of 15 years, homeschooler to their children. Writing, enjoying tea and creaming Raw Honey are three of her current pursuits. Grabbing time to read is always high on her list of priorities! If you'd like to contact her, she'd love to hear from you! Just email: alichamchugh@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Here we go...

A gentle and caring friend of mine posted something about herself on FB. She said "I love movies!"

This statement gave me pause. Oh, did I mention she's a strong Believer? When I saw her entry, I thought to myself, "Can we love movies?" I mean, I do...but can we say that? Can we admit that for any and all to see. I can see admitting to loving music, books, perhaps even dancing ~ King David danced...but movies?

You may be shaking your head in wonder...if you are, you must understand...I come from a heart place that God did not create, a place of religious rules fashioned by fear and without reason. But my Father beckons me, "Taste and see that the LORD is good."

Some movies are an absolute waste of time. {I just finished watching one actually. One I'd waited a year for it to come out on DVD! It was awkward and clique-ish at best.} But then there are some movies, they are the "shadow of the thing to come" or they are the rippling brook where we find our image and incremental discoveries about ourselves.

I am fascinated when I find the theme of truth weaved through a storyline. I don't mean "truth" as in "not a lie" but truth as it was meant to be...as she was created in the beginning, before anything was made (Proverbs 8:22). Another word for her is "Wisdom". And in worthy stories you will find the pulse of her, the Lord's message, his call and reasoning, in the most secular of tales. I am in awe of this...I LOVE seeing my Lord's face in the makings of a masterpiece or a simple story made by mere men. "The righteous see it and rejoice, and all iniquity stops its mouth, Whoever is wise will observe these things, and they will understand the loving kindness of the LORD." Ps 107 42,43

In the coming weeks/ months, I plan to write about the following, adding to the list as I go...some are books, others songs, but mostly...MOVIES!!!

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Company Men
Hart's War
Knight's Tale
What about Bob?
Elizabeth the Golden Age
Sarah Groves' song "Generations"
Winter Birds by Jamie Langston Turner
Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

And so, another critic makes her debut!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm so excited! Really looking forward to reading your reviews! :)

Tiffany said...

I'm really excited! Very much looking forward to reading your reviews! :)

Sherri said...

Alicia, saw your comment on Michael Hyatt's blog and checked out your blog. It has a great look and I like your post for today. I think it's so important to remember that wherever we find good in the world it is from God. It doesn't have to be something we would generally consider 'sacred'. God is good wherever we find him. I really like the comment about the verse that says 'come and taste that the Lord is good'. So many people grow up with only a rigid set of rules about God that prevent them from seeing his goodness. Great post. I'll be back!

Sherri
esthersdestiny.blogspot.com

Alicha McHugh said...

Thanks Sherri!
And you are right on about the whole secular/sacred thing. Great point.
I look up your blog too and found I wanted to know more about you! Like, "What do you write?"
The rest can unfold in time ;)

Sherri said...

Alicha, thanks for responding and checking out my blog. I write mostly fiction. I currently have two novels complete and am in the process of trying to find an agent/publisher, and learning an awful lot about the business! I have ideas and the rough beginnings of a couple of non-fiction things as well. I am a hospice social worker and would love to write something that helps people understand the heart of hospice. How about you?

lorojoro said...

That's awesome! Any good story worth its salt will ech the Real Story, regardless of medium or genre.

I love it when I find Grace in unexpected places. I sat on my couch and bawled at the end of the indie film Ink (2009) because it was such an incredible image of redemption. I was surprised to see an exploration of what real love is in the film Lo (2009). The movie Exam (2010, I think) rivals Lord of the Flies in its handling of sin nature and what it does to each if us.

I wish you much joy and discovery in the journey. :)